DesCartes: A Continuum of Learning was provided by Northwest Evaluation Association (NWEA) as part of their MAP assessment system. A similar tool, Primary Grades Instructional Data, was provided for those using the MAP for Primary Grades assessment.
For most MAP assessment users, DesCartes was replaced by the Learning Continuum in 2014.
- Makes it easier to use MAP scores to differentiate classroom instruction.
- Makes connections between specific skills and RIT scores to identify what students are ready to learn and to guide instructional planning.
- Is structured by goal areas (such as Literature for Reading and Geometry for Math) which are organized based on state or Common Core standards.
Each column in DesCartes includes the skills within a block of 10 RIT points. If a student has a RIT score of 205, then the skills within the 201-210 block are the skills that student is ready to work on in class right now.
DesCartes can be used for:
- Planning small group instruction, including flexible grouping
- Goal setting
- Creating centers, homework, or other assignments based on skills needed for each student
- Providing students, parents, and aides with specific skill sets for a student to focus on
To Access DesCartes:
- Go to the NWEA reports website where you access your students’ MAP scores
- Log in using the User Name and Password provided by your administrator
- Look under the section for “Instructional Resources”
View DesCartes for a Student or Group of Students:
- Open report Class Breakdown by RIT
- Choose the Term (i.e. “Fall 2013”). Click “Submit“
- Scroll down to view the chart. Click on Math, Reading, Language Usage, or Science to see the goal areas
- For each goal area desired, click on a student’s name to view DesCartes skills for that individual student -OR- Click on “All Students in Cell” to view DesCartes for the group of students – useful for flexible grouping
(Available after logging into NWEA’s Report site)
- “Essentials” – More information about DesCartes, including Teacher Tips
- “Vocabulary by Subject Area & RIT Range” – Vocab words introduced at each RIT level
- “Signs & Symbols by Subject Area & RIT Range” – Signs/symbols introduced at each RIT level
Material from the Learning Continuum is provided by courtesy of NWEA and may not be republished, rewritten, or redistributed. All rights reserved. Material from DesCartes: A Continuum of Learning is provided by courtesy of Northwest Evaluation Association and may not be republished, rewritten, or redistributed. All rights reserved.