These lesson ideas were originally on my original website, www.foridahoteachers.org. Eventually these will all be updated with Common Core State Standards, but for now, here they are with Idaho Standards and the older format.
Click on the name to open a pdf file.
Click on the [w] symbol to open the document in Microsoft Word.
Primary: Book Concepts (Grade K-2, RIT 121-180) Can You Find? Cubing Activity
– Locate and identify parts of a book
Locate Information – Using Graphic Features of Text (Grade 3-8, RIT 191-220) Features of Text: Text Scavenger Hunt
– Explore a textbook and practice book-related vocabulary
Predict, Infer and Conclude (Grade K-3, RIT 131-180) What’s For Dinner? Cookbook Predictions
– Use titles and pictures to make predictions
Main Idea and Identify Details (Grades 3-10, RIT 191-220) Main Idea Outline
– Create an outline using main ideas, supporing details
Materials: Main Ideas Outline Template Note: Works well with our Leveled Reading Skills Articles
Sequence Events (Grades 3-6, RIT 191-220) Sequencing Plot Chart
– Students draw a plot diagram, label events in order Note: Works well with our Leveled Reading Skills Articles
Cause and Effect (Grades 3-10, RIT 191-220) Cause and Effect Matrix
– Match events to their outcomes throughout a story
– Cause and Effect Matrix
– Cause and Effect Path
Note: Works well with our Leveled Reading Skills Articles
Sequence Events (Grades K-6, RIT <161-230) Story Strips Sequencing
– Students line up strips of paper with events from a story
Fact and Opinion (Grades 3-10, RIT 191-220) Fact vs. Opinion
– Explore viewpoints, then students express own ideas
Materials: Fact vs. Opinion Chart Note: Works well with our Leveled Reading Skills Articles